Back to Biodiversity Explorer main pageGo to Iziko Museums of Cape Town home pageAbout Biodiversity Explorer - history, goals, etc.Send us your questions about southern African biodiversityPeople who have contributed content and images.Search Biodiversity Explorer

Places to explore biodiversity

Lesotho

[Basutoland]

Lesotho is a land-locked country of  30 355 km2 and is entirely surrounded by South Africa. The whole country lies at high altitude with the lowest point lying at about 1400 m and the highest point (in fact the highest point in all of southern Africa) at 3841 m above sea level (at Thabana-Ntlenyana).

According to Earthtrends (see links below), 74% of the country consists of grasslands, shrublands and savanna and the remaining 26% consists of a cropland and crop/natural vegetation mosaic. Only 6500 hectares (0.2% of the total area) is protected for wildlife and this is contained in a single conservation area, the Sehlaba-Thebe National Park in eastern Lesotho.

The high altitude and the small range of habitats has meant that biodiversity is generally low for this region. A total of 33 mammals species, 123 breeding bird species, 41 reptile species, 6 frog species and 2 fish species have been recorded from Lesotho. 

Links

 


Contact us if you can contribute information or images to improve this page.

Biodiversity Explorer home   Iziko home   Search